Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Oh where art thee my news?

Many people get their news from reading news papers and watching the television. I on the other hand get all my news from other sources in different types of mediums. News isn’t only about what bill the president signed off on, or where he goes to delegate with. Webster’s definition of news is either the information about a recent and important event or previously unknown information. This means that anything I read that I didn’t know about is technically news.
With that being said I get a majority of my news from many websites. Obviously I get a lot of my news from CNN and NewYorkTimes but that’s not the only place to get news from. I also get a majority of my news from www.spikedhumor.com. This website is primarily like a YouTube but instead it hosts a mix of either comical videos or news related videos however, sometimes these videos are simply clips from sites like CNN or Fox. Even though it might not have the most recent videos, the news articles that it always post up are always much more recent than compared to the big news companies. I really like this website not only for the fact that it post up interesting articles but because it gets articles from all around the world. Many times have I found out about new technological breakthroughs that happen in Japan that I never would find out about on regular websites. To me it seems like we should open up to other websites other than CNN just because whenever you go to these sites its generally all the same news.

2 comments:

  1. Very interesting. I didn't even think about the humorous side of the news. I also didn't think about videos as news. I guess when i read the blog prompt my mind was still in the the frame of internet literacy versus things such as spiked humor or youtube. Very enlightening.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. You made good use of Webster's right there. It definitely opens up a lot more options of what could be news in the technical sense. Way to think outside the box!

    ReplyDelete