To take an approach in Harris’s book is similar to those in his previous chapters (forwarding and countering) but in a sense still different. When taking an approach your whole purpose is not to necessarily simply put another writer down but to use some of their piece in such a way to benefit yours. This is not to be done by simply putting the other piece down or saying that their piece was incorrect but instead buildings block for your own. I guess basically you could say that by taking an approach you will be getting support from another text.
As I read through the New York Times I hardly ever think about whether the writer is taking an approach. I guess when looking back to previous articles that I have read you can see a correlation with how the writers decide to write and those methods of Harris. Some examples of taking an approach could possibly be seen in the blog I read which complained about the CO2 emissions around the world. Much of the article discussed about the true facts about how much CO2 is released by key leaders such as America and China and Europe and how these leaders should reduce go about doing this. However, upon further reading, you notice that the blogger starts talking about the pros and cons in the events that will take place. I always understood the why and how we should decrease CO2 emissions, but the blogger started to realistically put down things like using mandating a decrease in oil consumption and how in the short term effect there would be a major increase in price of many things (transportation bottles ect). I guess I never really saw this as taking an approach.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment