Countering could be seen as the same countering used in chess, you’ll make the first move and I’ll counter it with something good in response to your move. Now my move might not be understood to you but to myself and possibly chess followers of mine might understand what my objective is, my style, my way of playing out the game. This goes to be the same when countering in writing. When a writer publishes something I might decide to counter his or her piece with one of my own. My piece won’t only about contradict the other writer’s piece but instead it will mainly be focused about building up my own ideas. Using some flaws in the other article in order to prove my point and saying that bits and pieces of the other article is true but… I think _______ are just some of the things that are done when countering.
When reading the Huffington post it might not seem like there are lots of bloggers that counter. But all you have to do is scroll down and see what other people have said. After reading about how large companies shouldn’t become too large or they should not exist, there are many that disagree and try to prove their own point about what they think. Michael Martin counters a blog by pointing out that the company executives do know what to do and that we should trust them. The only problem with this counter is that I don’t fully understand why I should trust the CEO’s of these companies. To me it seems like he disagrees with the fact that they aren’t the cause of the problem but cannot fully explain why. However his counter does open my eyes to other possibilities of why there was such a large collapse and shoots me to places for me to investigate. I think that the problem with countering at times is that you may sometimes counter the wrong time. Yes it may be on track and the new writer does introduce his own ideas by stepping on top of the other piece. But sometimes when countering we lose the truth in the now squished article.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment